Every once in a while even the toughest fighter gets beaten. That’s kind of how I feel about my 1SQ. I broke it last week but in reality it had no right to be working anyway after taking the amount of (accidental) abuse it has seen. This has been a great little toy/trainer but it finally gave in last week and needed a little TLC.
This seemed like a relatively easy fix to begin with, the battery wire had become compromised/frayed over time and finally stopped working altogether. Simple right… just solder on a new wire and connector!!?? Anyway, after removing the board from the aircraft I started to remove the battery wire and the “gunk” they insulate the connection with. During this process I accidentally knocked an adjacent resistor off the board too (the little brown thing). This isn’t looking good, its getting worse!!
As you can see above, this was now a 3 step fix and one of the soldering jobs looked a little more difficult.
I had to:
- Remove the old battery leads from the board by heating the solder and pulling the leads out (already completed in the above picture).
- Reattach the resistor I broke off (this one looked a little scary because the contacts were so small and my thumbs are huge). Pretty sure a machine soldered this the first time.
- Reattach the positive and negative battery leads through holes in the board and solder them in place.
Hopefully, you can’t really tell but the end result wasn’t exactly what I intended… If you check it out you can see that I have the resistor on a little sideways (circled in red) and I put the negative lead through from the backside of the board to stay away from the resistor (circled in black). At ant rate, the fix works and seems solid so I decided to leave it.
Plugged the battery in and everything started working like a charm! **Actually I plugged in the motors wrong to begin with and all my Quad would do is flips… If you have the same behaviour you may want to check your motor connections. The picture below is correct and can be used as a wiring reference: